Saturday, April 28, 2012

A poem: "The Best Daughter"

Here is a poem that I have written.  It is kind of a rough draft because I might have to revise it here or there later.  I am planning on this poem to be the basis of a future book.  I had entered into a creative writing contest at California State University Bakersfield, but apparently, I did not win one of three prizes.  Well, here it goes!


 "The Best Daughter"

 I would have been the best daughter.
If you would have known me.
Did you care to know me?
I resembled and loved you.
We had the same hands, feet and rump.
As a baby, did you hear my heart thump?                                                                                                                                        
I would have been the best daughter.
I would have tended to you after a long work day.
Brought you coffee and tea to get you to notice me.
I would have brought your pipe and offered you a light.
Read your favorite book with you; and
Rushed home from school to talk with you.
A life problem came one day,
A friend said, “Ask your dad
for the solution without delay.”
Startled and afraid,
I asked, “Who?”

I would have been the best daughter.
Did you think of me?
There were solemn Sundays, birthdays and holidays.
I thought of you, but not too much,
Just enough to feel my heart clutch.
You were so handsome and mild.
The pictures you sent were showed off with smiles.

I would have been the best daughter.
If we would have talked more; you would have known.
I would have been proud to call you my own.
Two people too proud.
Years passed without communication.
Hearts somewhat connected, acts of rejection.
I would have been the best daughter.
Daddy, you could have believed.
We should have reached out and
forgotten about our doubts.

I would have been the best daughter.
But, I sat there weeping,
deeply from the gut, that
felt like a never ending rut.
Hollow sorrow.
So much to say,
Unspoken words,
But, I will see you one day.
Now, I remember you.
Please remember me.
The best daughter.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment